WHAT COLOR LIGHT DO THE PRO'S USE (Check em out)

Interesting panel! Wow, what an awesome group. I'd love to attend one of those.

I love hearing all of them say "White". LOL
I definitely don't want to start something on here, trust me. It just seems that if a coyote will run along side a tractor with lights on, watching for mice, etc. that its not bothered by white light. Also, if I can see it, I have a better chance of shooting it. So, for me too, it's WHITE!

Canines do not have the ability to see either red or green. What they see is a greater contrast to the dark surroundings using green light. This is because green is closer to the white end of the spectrum whereas red is farther away.

Originally Posted By: KizmoOriginally Posted By: Kudu

Yotes can't see green light!

Bull. They can see green just fine.

Really? Don't think so!

Okay Kudu, I'll bite. Please tell me why you think coyotes can't see green light.

I'm curious, because I exercise my German Shepherd with a green laser dot at night during the summer. She chases it until her tongue hangs out! When she's outside at night I call her in with the green dot by moving it around the yard. She comes right to it, from three yards over and across the street.(She responds so quickly that I joke that I think she can 'hear' it.)

Last edited:
i have had coyotes shy from green light. not from red. with white, they are gone before i can get the scope on them.

Coyotes and other animals will shy from lights of ALL colors guys.

What makes the difference is using a rheostat and scanning on very low power, and slowly adjusting the brightness of the light as the animal is coming in until you get to the brightness of identification and the shot you want.

As you slowly adjust the light from dimmer to brighter, the animal can "see" it, but because his pupils are dilating slowly as you slowly adjust the brightness, he has no perceived change in the brightness of the light.

If you just flip on a bright light of ANHY color on an animal, it shocks the animal, and chances are very good that the only shot you'll get is a running one.

I agree about the brightness of the light being the controlling factor. I think that was the point Byron South made in the video too.
The difference that white makes for me is that it gives me more distance on a stand. Many times that has made all the difference. (Seeing a coyote a long way off, and waiting for it to come on in, as opposed to thinking there's nothing out there and leaving too soon.)

Miz Kiz, You are right about a light needing to have the penetration through the darkness to track and see an animal. Lot's of folks don't use a red light for that reason. Humans can't see the light as well as white, or as well as green. But, the penetration has a lot to do with the beam focus and the brightness of the light too.

There are red lights out there that are VERY bright, and I can hunt well with them.

I have a Coyote Light that I have had nothing but good experience with, and it is red. They are making them in green and white now too, and have a green one on order. From what I understand, the new green is way brighter than the red. I'll have to get back with everyone after laying the new one on eyes in the field.
wink.gif

Rockinbbar, I'll be very interested in the results. Let us know how you like it.
I can't imagine ever changing from our Olight SR90 (and the lighter lady version SR92... LOL). They have great throw, excellent battery life, and can double as a CLUB if needed...seriously) but I'll eagerly await your review.

(Is it a gun mounted or hand held light? If it's gun mounted I think I do recall a discussion some time back with Kiz about it.)You've peaked my curiosity.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking; what are the best lights you guys have used?
Brand and if able to still get them where at?
I am a new predator hunter and I am interested in doing a night hunt so this has been very informative.

As stated above, my favorite is the Olight SR90, but it is handheld and weighs about 3.5 pounds, so it works better with someone scanning and someone else on the gun. (SR92 is a little lighter, but probably still 2.5 pounds.)We hunt a lot of wide open pastures with views of 400+ yards, but also with plenty of cows. Being able to see a coyote at a great distance is important but being able to see a cow BEHIND that coyote is even more important.
I'm fairly certain SR90's are still available and probably can be found even on Amazon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miz KizAs stated above, my favorite is the Olight SR90, but it is handheld and weighs about 3.5 pounds, so it works better with someone scanning and someone else on the gun. (SR92 is a little lighter, but probably still 2.5 pounds.)We hunt a lot of wide open pastures with views of 400+ yards, but also with plenty of cows. Being able to see a coyote at a great distance is important but being able to see a cow BEHIND that coyote is even more important.
I'm fairly certain SR90's are still available and probably can be found even on Amazon.
Thank you
Like I said I am new to the sport and I greatly appreciate all the help.

Do a simple 30second google search on canine vision and you will see that they are dichromatic which means they see in 2 colors blue and yellow. there are images of what this would look like so you will have a better understanding of it.

I am familiar with that study and the resulting diagrams. What it tells me is that canines do not EXPERIENCE green or red the same as we do. This gets confused with the idea that they don't "SEE" it, which is an entirely different concept. Their experience with red and green is much like that of a person who is red/green color blind. People who are color blind see red and green lights, and thus can discern traffic lights just fine. They see the light differently, but they do SEE it. This is enough for me to know that coyotes also SEE green and red lights; they just see them as shades of yellow compared to what we perceive them. Thus, there is no light that is 'invisible' to a coyote. It's all just a matter of intensity, which for me simply reinforces the idea of a dimmer for scanning lights, regardless of the color.

Tell you what. All you fellows that think coyotes can't see green light, why don't you put on your best green camo (which reflects...GREEN LIGHT), grab your favorite knife, walk into the wind, being real quiet, of course, and walk up there and stab yourself an unsuspecting 'yote. You'll be like The Predator to them!

Predator8.gif

Boy, this green camo makes me invisible to coyotes!

Be sure and post us a picture.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scott LDo a simple 30second google search on canine vision and you will see that they are dichromatic which means they see in 2 colors blue and yellow. there are images of what this would look like so you will have a better understanding of it.

I've posted that on here several times in the past, so I'm well familiar with it. The claim was that coyotes can't see green light. The fact that they perceive it as other than green does not mean that it is invisible to them. As a matter of fact, they perceive green light (at around 500nm) as white. Therefore, thinking you're accomplishing anything by using a green light vs. a white one for hunting canids is just voodoo.

Last edited:
Back